February 22, 2021
Dear Boyd County Public Schools Families,
I pray that each of you are safe during these continued difficult times. As you know, the ice and snow storms have devastated our wonderful community. Although it has been difficult for many, it is great to see how we, as Boyd Countians, take care of our own. I have seen numerous volunteers assisting with everything from tree removal to providing needed food and supplies to families housed at the Boyd County Convention Center warming shelter. It is truly remarkable to see our community come together to assist when there is a need.
I know you are interested in our plans for this week and for the upcoming months as we complete the school year. The information, below, will assist you in planning as we move forward.
All BCPS Schools: February 22 through February 26
February 22nd and February 23rd –Closed (No school for traditional or virtual academy students.)
February 24th, 25th, and 26th –Possible NTI based upon electrical power restoration in the community. A decision will be made by late Tuesday evening (Virtual Academy will resume normal operations if school is not closed.)
Boyd County Middle School and Boyd County High School: March 1 until further notice
- BCHS and BCMS will continue to be on an A/B hybrid schedule. All students, who have chosen the traditional (in-person) option for second semester, will attend school on their designated days (see below). Days they are not scheduled to attend in-person classes will be NTI days.
- BCHS students-Monday/Tuesday (A-L), Wednesday (NTI), Thursday/Friday (M-Z). Doors open at 8:00 a.m. The tardy bell will ring at 8:15 a.m.
- BCMS students-Monday/Tuesday (A-J), Wednesday (NTI), Thursday/Friday (K-Z). Doors open at 7:45 a.m. The tardy bell will ring at 8:25 a.m.
- Please contact your child’s school if you have questions about your child’s designated A/B schedule, or need to adjust your child’s designated A/B schedule, due to family group scheduling.
Early Childhood Academy and All Elementary Schools: March 1 until further notice
- ECA and all elementary schools will attend in-person classes on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
- Wednesday will be an NTI day for all preschool/elementary students.
Boyd County Virtual Academy
- The BCVA option will continue throughout the remainder of the school year.
We are excited to have students in the buildings, but please continue to consider each day to be fluid. I want to caution parents/caregivers to have a plan in place in case of intermittent closures and/or changes to the above schedule, due to local/school COVID-19 cases, quarantine issues, lack of substitute teachers/bus drivers, etc. I will try to make school closing decisions as early as possible. However, oftentimes, it is impossible to know the necessary information until early in the morning. Please have multiple plans/options in place if school is closed.
Again, we are so happy to have the opportunity for more face-to-face time with our students. We have missed them and the interactions that take place during in-person learning. Let’s all continue to do our part to keep everyone safe and healthy!