1. I can analyze lines of dialogue for propelling action, revealing character, and provoking decisions.
2. I can analyze line of incidents for propelling action, revealing character, and provoking decisions.
3. I can cite details or examples in a text where the author develops the point of view of various characters or narrators.
4. I can compare and contrast points of view of different characters or narrators.
5. I can analyze how the author develops points of view of different characters or the narrators.
6. I can analyze how the author contrasts different points of view in a single text.
7. I can analyze how differences in point of view create suspense or humor.
8. I can compare and contrast text (story or drama) and live or filmed production.
9. I can analyze the faithfulness or departure between the text (story or drama) and the live or filmed production.
10. I can evaluate the outcome/impact of choices made by directors and actors.
11. I can comprehend in literary text: key ideas and details, craft and structure, and integration of knowledge and ideas at appropriate complexity (Qualitative, Quantitative and Reader and Task) as seen in standards 1-9, independently and proficiently.
12. I can analyze the reason for writing a piece to decide on task, purpose, and audience.
13. I can determine suitable idea development strategies, organization, and style
appropriate to task purpose and audience (additional underpinning reasoning targets are found Writing Standards 1, 2, 3,7, 8).
14. I can delineate a speaker’s argument and specific claims.
15. I can evaluate the soundness of a speaker’s reasoning.
16. I can evaluate the relevance and sufficiency of a speaker’s evidence.
17. I can distinguish between: Sound and unsound reasoning, relevant and irrelevant evidence, and sufficient and insufficient evidence in a speaker’s argument.
18. I can analyze text to locate figures of speech (e.g. personification) and interpret meaning in context.
19. I can analyze the relationship between particular words (e.g. cause/effect, part/whole, item/category) for clarity.
20. I can distinguish among the connotations of words with similar denotations (e.g. bullheaded, willful, firm, persistent, resolute).
21. I can make meaning and use accurately words and phrases important to the comprehension of academic and domain-specific words.
22. I can apply and use knowledge of vocabulary when considering words and phrases important to comprehension or expression.
23. I can select appropriate references and resources to aid in gathering vocabulary