BCMS 7th Grade Math Syllabus 2017-2018
The curriculum we use has been aligned with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics to further emphasize the application and connection of mathematics (corestandards.org/math) and the real world and to prepare our students for college and careers. A brief overview of the main topics we will cover this year is shown below:
7th Grade Math Overview
Unit 1: The Number System
- Apply and extend previous understandings of operations with fractions to add, subtract, multiply, and divide rational numbers.
Unit 2: Expressions and Equations
- Use properties of operations to generate equivalent expressions.
- Solve real-life and mathematical problems using numerical and algebraic expressions and equations.
Unit 3: Ratios and Proportional Relationships
- Analyze proportional relationships and use them to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
Unit 4: Geometry
- Draw, construct and describe geometrical figures and describe the relationships between them.
- Solve real-life and mathematical problems involving angle measure, area, surface area, and volume.
Unit 5: Statistics and Probability
- Use random sampling to draw inferences about a population.
- Draw informal comparative inferences about two populations.
- Investigate chance processes and develop, use, and evaluate probability models.
- Pencils for daily use
- 1 Composition Notebook OR Spiral Bound Notebook for class notes/bell work
- 1 folder OR 3-ring binder for storage of hand-outs, assignments, etc.
Points are based on class participation/effort, completion of assignments (daily work and homework), projects, exams, and quizzes. Test and quiz scores will make up 70% of the overall grade in this course. The additional 30% will come from homework and daily class work.
The GRADING SCALE at BCMS is as follows:
MAKE-UP WORK POLICY
Make-up work shall be permitted for excused absences only. Students must complete make-up work within the same number of days in which they are absent plus one extra day to collect work. Students are aware of the make-up work procedure and therefore it is the student’s responsibility to obtain all make-up work.
Classroom Rules and Expectations:
In order for this to be a successful, fun, learning-oriented classroom it is important for every member of this class to follow a few simple rules. Failing to follow the rules will result in consequences. The rules and expectations for my class are as follows:
- Be on Time—Be in your seat and ready to begin working when class starts.
- Be Prepared—Bring ALL materials and assignments to class EVERY DAY.
- Be Respectful—Treat all students, teachers, staff, and property kindly.
- Follow Directions—Listen closely and follow all instructions the first time.
- Be Encouraging—ALWAYS do your best and encourage your classmates to do the same! Never put anyone down for answering a question incorrectly.
7th grade teachers will use the card mark system. Minor infractions will be noted for each student. Disciplinary action will be taken upon the 3rd card mark. Minor infractions will include classroom disruptions, coming to class unprepared, etc. Major infractions will be dealt with as outlined in the student handbook.
Please sign and return the bottom portion of the syllabus to show that you have read and understand the information provided in Mrs. Watson’s 7th Grade Pre-Algebra Syllabus.
Student Signature: ____________________________________________ Date: _________________
Parent Signature: _____________________________________________ Date: _________________