Art: Kindergarten Syllabus
Students will learn about and respond to the elements of art and principles of design. Students will create artwork using the elements of art and principles of design. They will be taught in a sequential manner. Each element and principle will be reviewed through the year as new ideas are added.
Students will use a wide range of art media and processes to produce two-dimensional (2-D) and three-dimensional (3-D) artwork.
Students will learn about various styles, purposes, and characteristics of art. They will learn about various cultures and periods in art. Students will learn about art from West Africa, Native America, and traditional Appalachia. Students will also learn about Colonial American art.
Students will learn about various visual artists and their works of art as the year progresses.
1st Nine Weeks
- Introduction to art elements and principles of design
- Line: Straight, curved, zigzag, dashed, dotted
- Shape: Geometric and organic (freeform)
- Color: Primary and secondary hues, warm, cool, and neutral hues
2nd Nine Weeks
- Students will continue application of the elements of art
- Introduction to the principles of design
- Still Life
- Form (Sculpture)
- Colonial American Art
- Native American Art
3rd Nine Weeks
- Students will continue application of the elements of art and principles of design
- West African Art
4th Nine Weeks
Students will continue application of the elements of art and principles of design used throughout the year
- Appalachian Art