Adv. 7/8 Math -- 4th Period
View Events/Assignments for
In this class we will be cover all math standards in both the 7th and 8th grade curriculum. Due to the course load we will be moving at a fast pace throughout the year in order to make sure all standards are covered. By enrolling in this class you are on track to take Algebra 1 at the high school next year! The pace of this class is new to BCMS but I am confident that we will have a great year! Don't hesitate to ask questions or share concerns with me by phone or e-mail.
Over the course of the Fall Semester we will be working on 7th grade content. Instructional time will focus on the following four critical areas:
- Developing understanding of and applying proportional relationships.
- Developing understanding of operations with rational numbers and working with expressions and linear equations.
- Solving problems involving scale drawings and informal geometric constructions, and working with two- and three-dimensional shapes to solve problems involving area, surface area, and volume.
- Drawing inferences about populations based on samples.
During the Spring Semester we will cover 8th grade content. Instructional time will focus on the following three critical areas:
- Formulating and reasoning about expressions and equations, including modeling an association in bivariate data with a linear equation, and solving linear equations and systems of linear equations.
- Grasping the concept of a function and using functions to describe quantitative relationships.
- Analyzing two- and three-dimensional space and figures using distance, angle, similarity, and congruence, and understanding and applying the Pythagorean Theorem.